There might be chances that your OS is not working properly and or have many suspicious files downloaded in it causing some errors and you did try the methods but it didn’t work. So, don’t worry, the article is written for such cases to help you get rid of such issues. The main motivation for the article will be Reinstalling Windows 10 without losing data. Yes, you read that correct, without losing any data or applications you can reinstall Windows 10.
So, what are you and I doing by wasting our time by reading and writing this line of the article? Let’s just jump to the topic directly and see the methods that you can use to reinstall windows 10 without losing data and apps.
How to Reinstall Windows without losing data?
The methods are few and simple but since you want to keep all the data and apps in your system, you should make sure that any of the software installed isn’t the reason behind the issue. Do a complete antivirus or anti-malware scan before going through the below steps and after that, you will be ready to reinstall windows 10 without losing data or programs.
1. Do a Repair
This method will repair the system by either updating the Windows to its latest version or just repair the current version as per the option is chosen by the user. To start with repairing Windows 10, follow the steps below:
- Connect the USB or CD Drive with Windows 10 or Download the latest version of Windows 10 installation ISO file using the Windows Media Creation Tool to do ISO installation.
- Double-click on the ISO file or right-click and mount the ISO file.
- Run the setup.exe file by double-clicking over it.
- Now, you would see a new window asking for downloading new updates.
- Click Next to move to the next screen.
- Here, click on Change what to keep text in blue.
- Choose Keep personal files, apps, and Windows settings or Keep personal files only option, whichever suits your system.
- Press on the Next button.
After which the installing will start with keeping in mind the options you have chosen and it may take some while because it will not just repair the OS but also it will spend some time on scanning your hard drive and moving files. The system would also perform several restarts so just sit back and have patience. Finally, after the process is done you have completed the reinstalling Windows without losing any data and now you can check the data that you had in your system.
2. Reset Windows without losing files and documents
Windows 10 has a feature called Reset this PC which is useful to help you solve various system problems by just reinstalling Windows 10. So, the best thing about this step is that it can be done in two ways and I will explain both of them to you one by one.
You just have to go to settings to reset Windows 10 without losing files or data. The start menu might help you to do so.
- Go to Settings.
- Then choose the Update & Security.
- Now the Recovery.
- And finally, click on Get Started button in the section Reset this PC.
After which you will be asked to select whether you want to reset with keeping the files or deleting them. So, choose as per your convenience and complete the process.
Also, you can use the command prompt to reset the Windows 10 and the steps are given below:
- Press the Windows key & type command prompt in the search box and press Enter.
- From the list of results, right-click on the command prompt and select Run as Administrator option.
- Enter the command systemreset and press Enter.
- You can run the command systemreset -cleanpc if you want to reinstall Windows 10 and install new updates.
If your system cannot boot using the above method then, you should boot into recovery mode and from there, you can reset your PC.
3. Reinstall from USB device or CD Disc
So, if your case is installing Windows 10 from a USB drive or any other installation disc then, you can also opt to save the files i.e. reinstall Windows 10 without losing files. But before you do that, you should make sure that your C drive has space more than 16GB minimum. After that, you can follow the steps to start the process:
- Using an external disk or device you should start the booting.
- Now when it loads, select the appropriate language.
- And then in the Setup screen, select the C drive and click Next to proceed.
- Follow the steps and wait until the installation is completed.
You will not lose any of your old data as long as you do not format the C drive in the Setup. But they would move to another location in the system. So after the installation, you can locate the folder
Windows.old in the root directory of C drive.
Note: You can use the Disk Cleanup to delete the
Windows.old folder to free up disk space after copy all your needed files out from it.
Did it Work?
The 3 methods are described above in the article to help you Reinstall Windows 10 without losing any data and the methods will work not only for Windows 10 but also for other versions of Windows. So, you can use any of them and also share with your friends who may or may not have Windows 10 but at least is a Windows user. Finally, after completing the process you can let me know in the comments section below about the method that you used from the 3 and how was your experience using it. Also, if in any case you face any problem or have a query then you can comment below and I would be happy to reach you ASAP.